The need for water purification : Safe drinking water has been a top global priority for the past decades and the current situation of the pandemic has driven the world to new definitions of sanitation and hygiene. In liaison with the regular development works happening at various places, it has become even more challenging to offer access to safe drinking water to everyone.
It can be attributed to the changing levels of minerals, ions, and metallic constituents in the water supply at our homes. Though some of the minerals in the water are required for the body, excessive consumption of these can lead to serious health issues in the long run. This is where the underlying principle of the water purification comes into action.
Irrespective of the brand, the water purifiers have a basic common mechanism of removing the dissolved salts, suspended particles, microbes, minerals, and other such minute particles that have been deemed unsafe as per WHO standards. These are not to be confused with water filters, which cannot filter out the microbes from the raw water.
Thus, from a technical point of view, the water purifiers act mainly in regulating the pH, TDS, salinity, and hardness of the raw water supply, before getting into the consumption uses.
10 Best Water Purifiers 2020 to Buy online : List
|Kent New Grand 8 Litres Water Purifier|
|HUL Pureit Copper+ Mineral RO + UV + MF 7 Stage Water Purifier|
|AO Smith Z8 Green 10 Ltr Wall Mountable & Table Top Water Purifier|
|LG Puricare WW140NP RO + Mineral Booster Water Purifier|
|Faber Galaxy RO+UF+MAT 9 Litres Water Purifier|
|Eureka Forbes Aquasure from Aquaguard Delight 7 Liters|
|Havells Max Alkaline 7-Liter RO+UV Water Purifier|
|Blue Star Majesto RO+UV 8 Liter Water Purifier|
|Livpure Glitz Water Purifier|
|HUL Pureit Marvella Sleek Mineral Water Purifier|
Water Purifiers Buying Guide :
Different Types of Water Purifiers
Based on the technology used for the process of water purification, the water filters have been broadly categorized into the following five groups:
- RO Water Purifier– It uses the concept of Reverse Osmosis (RO) to pass the pressurized hard water through a semipermeable membrane and remove out the salinity, TDS, hardness, and chemicals in it. It comes in two designs- wall-mounted or tabletop and under counter.
- UV Water Purifier– It uses the UV lamps to kill out the living microbes in the water and is the ideal choice for raw water having lower TDS.
- UF Water Purifier– It uses the hollow ultra-filtration membranes to remove out the larger suspended solids and microbes and is thus suitable only for the areas having low chemical contamination in the raw water.
- Activated Carbon Water Purifier– It uses the activated carbon to adsorb the heavy metals and chemicals out from the raw water and is ineffective against hard water or the sources having high microbe infestation.
- Sediment Filter-It is used as a pre-filter to the other types mentioned above and settles down the larger particles as sediments in the bottom, before allowing the supply water to enter the attached purifier.
Factors to consider Before Buying a Water Purifier
Before deciding upon buying any of these categories of water purifiers, it is very important to consider the following factors that can aid in making the best selection of the model and category:
- The quality of the supply water, like its pH, TDS, salinity, hardness, and other associated values that can decide upon the pore size of the membranes
- The level of contamination of the raw water in the forms of microbes and external chemicals
- Supply water pressure which decides upon the efficiency with which the mechanism works for removal of the different impurities
- The utility charges of the building
- Budget limit of the buyer
Thus, the segregation of the categories of water purifiers and factors to consider before buying them has given you a fair bit of idea on the basics. Now, we would be moving forward with our take on the top 10 water purifiers in the Indian market for the year of 2020, after doing significant research on the user reviews regarding the currently available models.
10 Best Water Purifiers to Buy online 2020 Based on User Reviews
Kent Grand 8 Litres RO + UV/UF + TDS Water Purifier
The first name in our list begins with this product from the brand of Kent, which has been one of the dominating players in the Indian market for water solutions. Coming to the first impression features, it has got the tank capacity of 8L, the perfect combination of RO, UV, UF, and TDS types that were discussed in brief above, the accuracy of TDS cleaning up to 2500 ppm, and one year of manufacturer’s warranty and 3 years of no service charge.
Stemming out of these are the notable properties of the appliance as follows:
- The innovative technology of saving water by equipping a separate tank for the wastewater of the process, which can be ejected out by the users for cleaning the surfaces or mopping the floors of the house.
- The patented technology of double purification that retains the essential minerals and removes out all of the harmful ions, salts, microbes, and TDS up to the size of 2500 ppm.
- Smart controls in the appliance like filter change and UV fail sensors to alert the users on the necessary servicing much in advance
- The water level indicator on the appliance showing the levels of purified water left and thus showing the time to turn on the machine for fresh stock
- Food grade plastic tank that has the purification capacity of 15 liters per hour and ensures safety in storage of the water
HUL Pureit Copper+ Mineral RO + UV + UF 7-Stage water purifier [ Table Top / Wall Mountable ]
When it comes to the list of the best, how can we forget the rich legacy that has been carried forward by Hindustan Unilever, or popularly called as HUL? Using the very basic properties of copper that were used in the old generations for water purification, it came up with this 7-stage water purification model consisting of a copper tank.
Along with adding up the health benefits of copper in the purified water, the following features of Pureit Copper+ have added up to the high position in today’s market:
- A patented seven stage of the water purification process, which went in the order of the pre-sediment filter, pre-RO activated carbon filter, wire mesh filter, RO membrane, UF membrane, UV reactor, and finally, the post-RO activated carbon filter.
- Smart technology with sensors keeping track of the water level in the storage tank and the health of the filters and membranes before scheduling up for the regular maintenance.
- Feature of double purity lock to ensure that the raw water does not come out of the outlet in the case when one of the layers fails.
- TDS clearing capacity up to 2000 ppm and effective removal of the major impurities and microbes via the multi-stage process
- The capacity of 8L that could filter out almost 20 liters of raw water in an hour
- One year of warranty and detailed guidelines on the installation and usage of the accessories provided
AO Smith Z8 10-Liter Green RO Series Table Top and Wall Mountable Water Purifier
A brand of international fame, AO Smith has also gained a fair amount of market share in India in recent times. One of its recent launches is the Z8 model that offers a 10L of capacity, which is quite higher when compared to similar competitors in the market.
Along with the common features like TDS removal up to 2000 ppm, hot water facility, one year of warranty, and use of food-grade plastic for water storage, it has also outshined in terms of the special features as follows:
- A patented advanced water recovery technology, which saves up to two times the amount of water that is generally wasted by the normal RO filters after completing the purification process.
- Use of the Mintech feature to add up the essential minerals that are lost in the process of purification and hence keep up the water completely healthy for consumption.
- Combination of SCMT along with RO that accelerates the efficiency of removal of the harmful substances in the raw water.
- One of the rarest models in the market that offers the control for hot water dispenser two temperatures (in Celsius)- 45 and 80, and thus save up on the utility charges of going for the separate process of water heating.
LG Puricare WW140NP RO + Mineral Booster Stainless Steel Tank Purifier
When it comes to providing the best class of water solutions, the Korean giant LG is not far behind. With its recent launch of the Puricare model that offers dual protection stainless steel casing and good aesthetics features, it has also been accepted quite well by the current users. The best feature comes up in the elimination of the infamous E. coli microbe by about 94.4%, something where the other common purifiers have struggled to reach even 90%.
Some of the other buying points include the following:
- A robust 5 stage filtration unit which can remove the microbes at the range of nanometers and thus proves out to be highly effective against the raw water infested heavily with living impurities.
- Use of the food-grade stainless steel over the plastic body, which offers two advantages for prolonged storage of water- anti-corrosion property and slowdown of the growth process of algae that generally comes up in the standing water.
- Smart controls and indicators that display the life of filters equipped within the appliance and alert the users much in advance about any kind of replacement.
- Automatic UV cycle that runs in the intervals of 6 hours to maintain the cleanliness and purity of the stored water.
- The innovative digital sterilizing kit that disinfects the water channel and outlet faucet regularly without bringing into use any kind of harsh chemicals.
- Lastly, the beautiful aesthetic finish that attracts the homemakers who are highly conscious about matching everything with the interiors
Faber Galaxy Plus RO+UV+UF+MAT, 9 Liters Water Purifier
If you are very conscious about the water quality, then do consider this 8 stage filtration process from Faber Galaxy. Filtering out the TDS even at high levels of 2500 ppm, the brand has indeed established a name for the new era of filtration. Combining the technologies of RO, UV, UF, and MAT within the 9L capacity of storage, it has received several praises ever since the inception in the market.
The following are the winning points for it to get a position in our recommendation list:
- The best level of filtration is offered by removing TDS, salts, chemicals, and other tough impurities that often come up directly from the municipal or borewell water supply.
- Inclusion of copper guard technology to prevent fouling and taste degradation when the water stays standing in the storage tank for longer duration’s i.e. enhancing the storage life of purified water.
- MAT technology that replenishes the essential minerals in the water that often get lost during the filtration process.
- Glossy black finish that can be preferred by the interior designers to fit well within their designs of the kitchen space.
- Make of the storage tank out of ABS plastic, which is a certified food-grade one and thus adds up to the safety of retaining water for sufficient time.
- The best class of features offered at a price range of below INR 15000, thus making it highly affordable for middle-class consumers.
Eureka Forbes Aquasure Delight 7L RO+UV+MTDS Water Purifier [ Aquaguard]
Eureka Forbes has always aimed at offering the water solutions at reasonable prices to the consumers and is thus popular amongst the sector of mid-range consumers. Keeping up with this principle, its recent model of the Aquasure Delight purifier has been received well and defines the new cheaper definition of the triad of RO, UV, and MTDS.
The following are the winning features for it:
- The one-stop solution for pure, safe, and tasty drinking water by implementing 100% filtration through the layers of sediment filter, chemical block, RO membrane, UV chamber, and post-activated carbon filter.
- Manual adjustment in the TDS controller to deal with levels as high as 2000 ppm and can thus be applied for different types of raw water sources.
- The filter cartridge is equipped to handle up to 6000 liters of raw water and can thus last for a significant period amongst the small family.
- Smart controls and LED indicators to showcase the life of the different components and the right time to replace those out.
- A semi-transparent storage tank of 7L capacity that can allow you to see for any kind of physical anomalies in the stored water.
- Compact, an optimized, and sturdy design meant for fitting especially into the compact kitchen spaces.
Havells Max-Alkaline 7-litre RO + UV Water Purifier
Havells has made its name into the market as a leading water purification solution for commercial spaces and is thus majorly found in offices, malls, restaurants, and other shared locations. The fine design made out of rectangular shape makes it a perfect fit for the managers aiming for optimized space distribution.
The following are the striking features of this model:
- 7 stage purification process with RO and UV technology that effectively filters out the major harmful substances in the raw water and adsorbs the smaller ones via activated carbon filter.
- Mineralz Technology to add up the essential minerals and increase the pH of the purified water for health reasons.
- Unique revitalizer feature to enhance the hydration and absorption properties of the water.
- Smart controls to detect any form of failure in the filter layers of the appliance.
- A cost-effective and decent period of warranty, when it comes to the commercial spaces
Blue Star Majesto RO + UV Water Purifier
If you are looking for flexibility in terms of the color choices of the water purifier to fit your interior décor, then give a shot to the Majesto model from Blue Star. Though the brand is relatively new to the Indian market, it is still giving a good competition to the existing players.
The following features are sure to bring your attention to it:
- One of the fewest brands to use calcite media in the purification process to slightly increase the pH level for improving the overall taste of the water (commercially called Aqua taste booster).
- Protective copper and activated carbon technology to prevent the issues of fouling, odor, and stagnation of the standing water due to microbial growth.
- A child lock feature to avoid any unnecessary contact with the kids at home and also prevent unnecessary spillage of the water.
- 6-stage water purification process, via a pre-sediment filter, pre-carbon filter, sediment filter, RO membrane, UV lamp, and post-carbon filter to increase the efficiency and ensure cent percent filtered water.
- Perfect designs to fit as per your aesthetic demands for the home.
Livpure Glitz Silver RO+UF Mineralizer 7 L RO Water Purifier
When it comes to opting for another new entrant into the Indian market for water purifiers, Livpure comes into the list. Within a very short time, it has gained a significant customer base and is giving a tough competition to the existing models of conventional RO purifiers.
The following are the key features for this model which make it suitable for entering into your kitchen space:
- An advanced 6-stage purification process by RO and UF technologies to eliminate the major contaminants of viruses, bacteria, pesticides, fluoride, arsenic, and other heavy metals.
- Mineralizer technology to replenish the important minerals and keep up the taste of the water after the entire process.
- Suitable for treating water from various types of sources, like borewell, tap, and municipal supplies, and hence keeps up the flexibility in treating the differing impurities.
- Filtration rate of about 15 liters per hour and subsequent storage capacity at 7L.
- Economical cost to fit into the budget requirements of the buyers
HUL Pureit Marvella Sleek Mineral RO+UV+MF+MP Water Purifier
The last entrant in our list also belongs to the famous HUL. Priced at just below Rs 15000 and keeping up with the reputation of the brand, it offers the following features that make it worth for implementation as the best solution for water purification:
- The combined technology of RO, UV, MF, and MP to bring about 100% water treatment via the 7 stages of purification, starting from the pre-sediment filtration till the post-RO carbon filtration.
- Uses mineral cartridge instead of a TDS controller to enrich the water with magnesium and calcium ions and enhance the safety and purity for usage.
- Leading choice in terms of the purification rate at 20 liters per hour, which has hardly been touched by the existing competitors.
- Cycle life to handle 6000 liters of raw water and would hence be the best fit in small families.
- Smart controls to oversee the health of the different layers and give advanced warnings before any kind of replacement or change.
- Storage capacity up to 8L.
- Sleek design with the perfect color combination to match the aesthetic standards of the consumers.
With this, our take on the top 10 water purifiers in India concludes. We would recommend you to study the water quality first and then have a look at the choices. This approach would ensure that you do not end up selecting any wrong category that is ineffective against your input water quality.
On a parallel track, keep us posted with your queries on any of these models and we would also update the list as per the changes in the reviews or any new entrant into the market. Till then, stay safe and subscribe to our channel.